Healthy & Easy Banana Bread
May 31, 2021
by Joanna Brown (rejoicenutritionwellness.com)
At the end of the week, I always have a black banana or two sitting on the counter in the fruit bowl. You all know me and I am not a fan of food waste, so I pop them into the freezer and proudly proclaim “I will make banana bread with these one day!”. Then a few months go by and someone in my house always will ask “what are we doing with all these darn black bananas!?!” and I quickly realize my freezer is full of them lol. This banana bread recipe is so quick and easy, my no-fail recipe makes the moistest banana bread everyone will love. I have experimented with the standard recipe to “healthify it”, so all the swaps for sugar, butter, eggs, and flour for a “healthier” banana bread below all still produce the best banana bread no matter how you like to swap it out to meet your needs.
My Fave Top 10 Fun Additions To My Banana Bread Recipe:
- Sugar-free chocolate chips (Lily’s Brand & Krisda I like the best)
- Berries (fresh or frozen are awesome! pick one or mix in a few kinds)
- Dried Fruit Freeze Dried Blueberries, Sugar-free Dried Cranberries or Cherries, & Dried Banana Chips)
- Nuts (Walnuts, cashews, or pistachios all are yummy)
- Seeds (pumpkin, chia, flax all are yummy in and on top of the bread)
- Nut or seed butter’s (Yup add 2 tbsp into the recipe below of your favorite creamy nut or seed butter)
- Spice it up! (pumpkin spice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, add a tsp of your fave seasonal spice)
- Zucchini (add 1 cup of shredded zucchini to the mix for added nutrition & texture)
- Crushed Pineapple (swap 1 banana for 1/2 cup of drained crushed pineapple! so yummy!)
- Pumpkin Puree (swap 1 banana for 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree and add in pumpkin spice for a pumpkin spiced banana loaf! yummy)
Healthy & Easy Banana Bread
- 3 small very ripe bananas, mashed about 1 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or whatever sweetener you love
- 2 medium eggs or use 2 flax eggs
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) You can use butter, ghee, or coconut butter here
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt dairy-free coconut or cashew yogurt can work great too
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup optional add-in’s see add-in ideas above
preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease or line a baking tin with parchment (9″x4″ bread tin works great)
In a large bowl mix together mix all the wet ingredients (banana, eggs, yogurt, sweetener, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla) until well combined.
Next, mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl and then slowly add the mixed dry ingredients to the wet ingredients above. Gentle mixing, do not overmix.
Fold in your add-in ingredients of choice. Then pour into your pan.
Bake for 55-60min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool then serve.